Come springtime, mosquitos will set up camp and mark their territory. They will establish their borders and attack anyone that steps foot in their neighborhood. The blood-sucking, disease-filled, flying syringes are locked and loaded. And they’re coming right for you with one goal in mind, ruin your evening and get you back inside.
While they might not act exactly according to that description, mosquitoes really are
quite a nuisance. And here in the Midwest, we have some bitterness toward our
buzzing neighbors. In this article, we’ll look at some interesting facts about
mosquitos and I’ll share some helpful tips to keep you “itch-free” this year!
- Mosquitoes are Considered the “Deadliest” Animal in the World
- Only Female Mosquitoes Have the Ability to Bite
- Mosquitoes Prefer Shady or Moist Environments
- Scent and Body Heat Attract Mosquitoes
- A Mosquito Can Drink Up to 3 Times its Weight in Blood
An Itch-Free Year
Store-Bought Bug Spray
- This is the easy and cheap route. While it can be very effective for the short-term, it won’t last very long and you could still end up with some bites.
- There are many variations of mosquito traps and they are slightly more expensive. These can be effective for killing small populations of mosquitoes, however, they will not be the most effective and you will still have large portions of the population sticking around.
No Standing Water
- If you have any standing water in the surrounding area, you will probably have mosquito problems. While you can’t get rid of ponds, lakes, or streams, if you have an area on your property that has drainage issues, take care of them. These are breeding grounds for the mosquitoes and they love the moisture.
- Mosquitoes aren’t the strongest flying creatures. In fact, they are so weak that a simple fan can blow them off course and keep them away. If you’re outside, place a fan near you to help deter the mosquitoes. This won’t deal with the mosquito problem head-on, but it will help keep them from being near you.
Berger Hargis Mosquito Barrier
- Obviously, I’m going to promote our mosquito barrier product, but I promise I wouldn’t if it didn’t work. We have developed programs to keep your property mosquito-free for however long you want. Whether you want a one-time “party” spray or a 7-month mosquito-free program, we can help. The application process is quick and easy, and you don’t have to worry about your kids or pets being affected. Once the product is dried, your lawn is safe. If you want the most effective and longest-lasting mosquito solution, this is your go-to.
For more information regarding mosquitoes and mosquito deterrents, check out the following posts: “Mosquito Facts: 33 Things You Didn’t Know About Mosquitoes” “6 Effective Ways to Get Rid of Mosquitoes at Home & Outside”
If you are in need of landscaping or lawn care work, give us a call at (317) 243-0100 or visit our website to see how we might assist you! We would love to partner with you to provide you with the absolute best quality and service!
Stay up to Date!
Enjoying the content? There’s plenty more! Check out our last post on Dealing with Change in Your Business!
Have a wonderful week!
–The Berger Hargis Team