Breaking Ground: Everything You Need to Know About Brood X
So, what is everything you need to know about Brood X? If you live anywhere near the Midwest, you’ve definitely heard of the soon-to-be swarm of 17-year old cicadas. For the long-time Midwesterners out there, these little guys are nothing new. What’s all the fuss about this time around though? In this post, we’ll discuss all the hype as well as some helpful tips regarding the Brood X Cicadas.
What is everything you need to know about Brood X? There’s so much information to be learned about the Brood X Cicadas, but we’ll keep the list short and concise! Here’s some of the most important information regarding Brood X:
- During their 17 years of life underground, they are feeding on tree roots
- They are the largest 17-year periodical cicadas
- Brood X is estimated to emerge in 15 different US States: Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Kentucky, Tennessee, Ohio, Georgia, West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, and Delaware
- Only the male cicadas make noise, reaching levels of up to 90 decibels
- Cicadas don’t bite or sting
- After mating, the females will lay up to 600 eggs that will hatch and fall to the ground
- Their lifespan above ground is only 4-6 weeks
Protecting Your Trees
Younger trees are vulnerable to some damage from cicadas. The females will actually carve out spaces in the branches to lay her eggs. In order to protect your younger trees, you can place a thin mesh barrier over them. This will prevent the females from splitting branches and laying eggs on your tree. You might want to get these mesh barriers up as soon as possible, because these little ones will be here before you know it!
To learn more about the Brood X Cicadas, check out this great article from our chemical providers over at Advanced Turf Solutions!
If you are in need of landscaping or lawn care work, give us a call at (317) 243-0100 or visit our website to see how we might assist you! We would love to partner with you to provide you with the absolute best quality and service!
Stay up to Date!
Enjoying the content? There’s plenty more! Check out our last post on Deep Root Fertilization!
Have a wonderful week!
–The Berger Hargis Team